Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Why we Chant Om



I've wanted to do this post/video for a while now ever since I caught my 2.5 year old daughter sitting on my meditation pillow chanting. (Yes I got it on video and is it at the bottom of this post) I was first introduced to chanting OM in my yoga teacher training a couple years ago. one of our first assignments was to teach a basic yoga class and end the class with a simple OM chant.  I was scared, and didn't feel confident in doing that. I didn't like to sing in front of people. However chanting is not singing. I committed to follow through, now a couple years later I end all of my yoga classes with chanting OM 3 times.  I have come to love this practice. I invite those of my class to join me if they would like, however even if they choose not to join one of the great things about chanting is that it not only benefits the chanter but those around the person chanting. 
OM is the basic sound of the universe. The frequency is 432 Hz which is the same vibration frequency found in all things nature.
Some of the other amazing benefits of chanting are 
  • OM are your concentration increases 
  • OM purifies the environment around you
  • OM improves your voice by strengthening your vocal cords
  • when OM is chanted in a group the effects are amplified
  • through chanting you can have better control over your emotions allowing yourself to see situations with the clear mind
  • OM chanting gives you a better immunity and self healing power
  • chanting OM can lower blood pressure and can help your overall heart health

 I admit I was skeptical about chanting when I first was introduced to and had to get over some mind blocks in order to chant in front of others at the end of my classes
I would invite you to join me in chanting right now 
I challenge you to chant daily for a week. You can chant in the morning, or evening or whenever it works into your schedule.
See if you notice a change in your life. 
After you feel comfortable with the OM chant, There are so many more that you can find and use. I hope you learned something about chanting.

Namaste. 




My beautiful Daughter Chanting Om. She does this often. I see her stopping and taking breaths when she is upset.. I love that she is starting her Yoga Practice Young!




No comments:

Post a Comment